Roseraie de L’Hay June 2014

ROSERAIE de L’HAY

Hybrid Rugosa

This rose takes its name from Roseraie de L’Hay – one of the best and oldest “roses only” rose gardens in the world. The garden was established, near Paris, by department store magnate Jules Gravereaux in 1893 and contains one of the world’s greatest collections of Old Garden Roses and a very comprehensive collection of modern roses as well.

The plant, Roseraie de L’Hay was bred by French Rose Hybridist M. Cochet, in 1901, who also designed the garden.

This rose is a Rosa Rugosa Hybrid. The Rugosa group of roses are renowned for their performance in very tough conditions with its leathery, ribbed foliage being resistant to extreme heat and diseases.

Roseraie de L’Hay can reach 1.5m in height and 1.5m in width. Its deep crimson purple flowers are very fragrant and are produced regularly throughout the growing season.

Its flowers, foliage and habit make it a very attractive shrub for garden displays. Importantly, like most members of the Rugosa Group, it performs relatively well near the coast.